20080312

somebody save me....

So, I am in desperate need of some help. I never thought it'd come to this, but I was actually excited surfing the Treasury's website, looking at the range of reports available for me to devour, gleefully absorbing very geeky fun facts like the UK household debt being 109% that of GDP - even higher than that for the US, at 100%.

The point when I realised I truly had a problem was when I caught myself thinking "Gosh this is how you will be spending your Sundays in future, 10 years down the road, poring through the Singapore government's website, wondering what on earth the government's doing." And then worrying about where to find such information, and if they had reports as nice as the ones the Treasury had.

I think the million dollar question is if I will become an economist once I've gone through my six years with IE. And I think the answer is, should I become one, the economy of Singapore will be in very, very poor shape indeed. So pray that my interest in economics extends only to whether I think the economy will go into a recession soon, and hedging my bets on the stock market (which of course as we all know exhibit irrational behaviour, etc etc. And of course, it's often not predicting a change that's very difficult, it's predicting the extent of it - and therefore the extent of your gains and losses.)

Lastly, I've got offers from LSE and King's, both of which I am incredibly pleased with. I have my tutors to thank for what must have been brilliant referrals - I was quite adamant I wouldn't have gotten any offers at all with my appalling Prelims grades. Now it's off to try to get the elusive first.

Oh speaking of Finals I've got something quite funny to add. My politics tutor was trying to expose the sham that was Finals, in a bid to get us to understand that, really, it made no difference to your life whatsoever. (However, cue counterexample, i.e. me). And in any case this was the key take-away: Finals are a sham, and scribble (because the examiner might think he's read something that you haven't intended - giving you the benefit of the doubt).

Nice.

1 Comments:

Blogger WMD said...

Don't worry about your stint in IE. It will be enjoyable...especially if you are a scholar...opens up window of opportunities you never knew had...

2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home