20060327

so you think you can dance

since my impending flight to london, i've decided to study less and watch more tv (no tv in oxford la). now i'm watching so you think you can dance, and there was a rather obese guy who was contesting. initially i was so squemish - squealing even, when he danced. terrible of me. then my dad reminded me, "he's trying you know." that silenced me.

indeed, he was trying - trying so hard too. and when he was rejected he was still so polite and nice about it, even though he was struggling to keep in the tears while smiling. oh gosh, it was so heart breaking. you know i always think, nothing matters, so as long as you've tried your best, but it seems like the world is so cruel, and the people in it (me especially) so judgemental. what would he think? for so long he must have struggled with himself, been taunted or teased, and yet he remained confident enough to enter into a competition which he is passionate about. will this kill his passion or make him doubt himself? is there not something that recognises his effort?

for me that jolted me back into reality, and not only made me realise that i am really fortunate and have a lot to be thankful for, but more importantly that i should start to be more understanding. very much more understanding and encouraging. where best to start than at home? my mum cooks and cleans the house every day, but i hardly thank her. i take it as given. my dad works hard, and even works shifts to ensure my brother and i have a roof over our heads and food on the table. they don't even ask for thanks, they just ask for acknowledgement and respect. i think it's not enough to just think, yes i do acknowledge them, or yes i do respect them, but to actually show it.

on a separate note, does anyone have this guy's name? i'd like to know. thank you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home